Sunday, April 12, 2009

More adventures in Austria

Wednesday March 8, 2009
So slowly but surely the snowboarding is coming along. Every day it gets a little easier but some nice wipe-outs have occurred. haha! Tonight we went to a nice Austrian Restaurant. And, of course, the waitress was dressed like something strait out of The Sound of Music! Nothing too interesting happened during dinner but then we moved on to dessert. I had a little craving for something sweet but not too much so I talked my cousin, Robin, into splitting a Salzburger Nockerln with me. Neither of us knew what it was so we were both curious to see how they made it. Apparently it is similar to a soufflĂ©. The others ordered desserts with ice cream and other things. But when our Salzburger Nockerln came out... it was so HUGE! I mean embarrassing huge! Picture 3 giant mirang mountains with marmalade on the side. It didn’t even taste good. It tasted like an uncooked marshmallow. It was obviously just sugar and egg whites. We all had a great laugh because it was really just obscenely big. There was no way two people could have even tried to eat it all! Really there was no way all 10 of us could have eaten it!
The snowboarding went better today. And I'm the only English speaker in the group. So even though my teacher speaks a little bit of English, He chooses to stay in German most of the time, Austrian German to be precise. So needless to say my Germany is definitely improving! This is a good thing except when he is giving really important instructions on how not to die, for example! haha just kidding! Everything is really safe up here. But it is a little embarrassing to see groups of four years olds skiing circles around you! I'm not kidding. There are really, really small kids skiing up here. Today I sat next to a very talkative four year old German girl who could ski. And she was telling me all about everything. So not only could she ski better than me but she could speak German better than me. Wow is that a blow to the self-esteem or what? haha! No really it was good fun.
Much love to you all,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment